AICV was established as a non-profit peak body in 1989 to enable all sectors of arts activity in Victoria to speak with a common voice.
We believe that…
- everyone has the right to participate in and enjoy the arts;
- the arts are integral to Australian life;
- arts practice has profound intrinsic value;
- a healthy, sustainable arts sector makes a vital contribution towards stronger communities and enhanced health & wellbeing;
- a vigorous and stimulating society is as dependent upon a healthy, sustainable arts sector as it is on healthy, sustainable economic, social and cultural sectors;
- Government and the private sector have a responsibility to support and assist the arts sector.
- ‘arm’s length’ public support for the arts;
- the involvement of peers in policy development, program design and the distribution of public funds;
- the development of a ‘whole of government’ cultural framework within which arts and all other policies can be integrated;
- clear, fair and transparent processes for the selection of peers;
- clear, fair and transparent processes in the distribution of public funds;
- the growth of a national network of state and territory-based arts sector peak bodies.
We pursue these things by…
- providing a focal point for discussion, debate and action;
- consulting with our members and with other artists & arts workers;
- consulting and engaging with all levels of government, their agencies, the private & corporate sectors and with the broader community.