Who we are
The Arts Industry Council (Victoria) is overseen by the CEOs of Victoria’s peak arts bodies and a smaller Convening Group that runs the key campaigns and the Member meetings each year.
Anne Robertson, Executive Officer, Public Galleries Association Victoria
Joe Toohey, Director, Regional Arts Victoria
Caroline Bowditch, Executive Director, Arts Access Victoria
Jenny Ryssenbeek, Executive Officer, Victorian Association of Performing Arts Centres
Andy Miller, (Co-Convenor) General Manager, Multicultural Arts Victoria
Angela Savage, Director, Writers Victoria
Laura Miles, Executive Director, Museums Australia (Victoria)
Michelle Silby, (Co-Convenor) Executive Director and CEO, Ausdance Victoria
Simone Schinkel, Business Manager, Theatre Network Australia
Patrick Donovan, Chief Executive Officer, Music Victoria
The Arts Industry Council (Victoria) is an independent voice for the arts in Victoria.
We are a membership-based, peak body.
We represent a broad range of Victorian arts organisations and individuals.
We advocate for the arts in matters of policy, networking, promotion and assistance to ensure a healthy, sustainable arts sector.
We believe that…
- everyone has the right to participate in and enjoy the arts;
- the arts are integral to Australian life;
- arts practice has profound intrinsic value;
- a healthy, sustainable arts sector makes a vital contribution towards stronger communities and enhanced health & wellbeing;
- a vigorous and stimulating society is as dependent upon a healthy, sustainable arts sector as it is on healthy, sustainable economic, social and cultural sectors;
- government and the private sector have a responsibility to support and assist the arts sector.
- ‘arms length’ public support for the arts;
- the involvement of peers in policy development, program design and the distribution of public funds;
- the development of a ‘whole of government’ cultural framework within which arts and all other policies can be integrated;
- clear, fair and transparent processes for the selection of peers;
- clear, fair and transparent processes in the distribution of public funds;
- the growth of a national network of state and territory based arts sector peak bodies.
We pursue these things by…
- providing a focal point for discussion, debate and action;
- consulting with our membership and with other artists & arts workers;
- consulting and engaging with all levels of government, their agencies, the private & corporate sectors and with the broader community
We urge all artists and arts workers to join us in these pursuits.